10.26.2011

a minimalistic approach

Maybe i just need to start small.
Today, for instance, i really wanted to go for a run. Okay, not go for a run so much as feel good, later, about having gone for a run. But i knew it wasn't in the cards; i simply did not have it in me to sweat today. Instead of my usual lunch break though - a nap or Huffington Post - i took the dog for a walk. A decent one, too - a good mile at least, moderate pace. Got warm enough to lose the jacket, but didn't get out of breath. And while i don't feel as good about myself as i would if i'd gone for a run, i feel a lot better about myself than i would if i'd napped. As a bonus, it was fairly easy and enjoyable so i feel there's a good chance i'll do it again tomorrow.
Perhaps i can bring this approach to the rest of my life? Lose the all-or-nothing modus operandi that inevitably leaves me reeking of failure?
I'm already pretty good at "scraping by" or doing the bare minimum at work. Luckily for me, my bare minimum in that particular arena is pretty damn good. So i'm covered there.
I've stayed on top of tackling housework this way as well lately - a load of laundry here, a sink of dishes there...beats the hell outta spending 2 days cleaning what i've essentially allowed to become a shithole. (though i really do need to address the closet/dresser situation - sick to death of living out of laundry baskets)
Where else can i apply this? My biggest challenge, and the one with the weightiest consequences by far, is parenting. How could i apply this there?
It seems anathema to say i'm shooting for being "a good enough mom", but waking up every morning and setting the bar at "i won't raise my voice today" is not serving me well. By noon (at the latest) i've blown it, and inevitably feel like my chances at being "a good mom" that day are shot. Its generally downhill from there...
The thing is, you know - our kids, they deserve perfect parents. Why would we strive to be anything less?
Why? Because its unattainable. And because beating your head against that particular brick wall will only serve to make you more frustrated and more prone to lose your temper, now that you've piled certain failure on to your parenting to-do list.
And, while i can't say with any certainty whether i truly believe this or its just a handy rationalization, i have a sneaking suspicion that the children of perfect parents, if such a thing existed, would grow up to be assholes. I mean, think of the lessons you've learned second-hand from the mistakes your parents have made.
This is all well & good in theory, but didn't bring me much comfort last night as i realized my neighbors actually heard me say to my son, through gritted teeth, after seven meltdowns about trick or treating, "would you please just pretend to be a kid who likes free candy long enough for me to take this stupid picture?!"
So i don't know. Maybe there's some forgiveness there that needs to take place. Maybe i - dare i say "we"? - need to forgive ourselves, from time to time, for not being perfect parents. And maybe smaller, more attainable goals would help me boost my confidence a bit, be a little more comfortable in my "mom suit".
Am i seriously considering lower my standards as a parent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave your spiel here!